What its like seeing lava up close and personal
Blog Hawaii Travel

What It’s Like Seeing Lava Up Close And Personal

LAVA!! (video at bottom)

Have you ever really thought about what it’s like seeing lava up close and personal? It’s pretty darn scary. You can feel the heat on your face like you’re about to be a pizza in an oven. You hear crackling because it is that hot!

So as we are on our way there I was thinking”Yeah!! Let’s do this! We are gonna go be up close and personal with some lava and its gonna be awesome! I’m gonna be so brave and not fear anything!” Let me tell you something, my anxiety was at an all-time high! I did not like being that close to lava. I went from being super pumped to wanting to high tail it out of there. I kept it cool though. (At least I felt like I did) 😉

Of course, I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you’ve been reading my last few posts, you know why. I don’t want to live my life regretting What its like to see lava up close and personalthe things I wish I would have done. So if seeing lava up close and personal scares you, just do it. Why? Because you get amazing memories!

This is where you can book a guided lava tour so you can be within inches of the lava!!  Book Your Guided Lava and Volcano Hike Tour! (recommended) Or you can explore all of the activities to book here at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

This is what we did: ADVENTURE TIME

So here we are just winging it like we normally do, not really knowing what we wanted to do for the day. On this day, we decided to go meet lava. We knew it wasn’t too far away from our little Air BNB that we were staying in, so the lack of planning wouldn’t be a problem. By the way, we stayed in this very unique and awesome cabin out in the middle of the rainforest just outside of the small town of Pahoa. Most of the walls were made out of mesh and it rained almost every night, so we really felt one with the forest. If you have never triedwhat its like seeing lava up close and personalAir BNB, you can get a $40 in travel credit using my code! $40 Dollar AIR BNB Credit!

So we got ready and made our way into town to stumble across a little breakfast joint: Pele’s Kitchen. (Highly recommend. It was amazing.) We see a family looking at their pictures of lava and they are REALLY CLOSE. We ask each other “HOW DID THEY GET SO CLOSE?” We knew the main way to see the lava was to do a Helicopter Tour Or the Guided Lava and Volcano Hike Tour, but now that we saw how close these people had been, we knew we had a new goal in mind.

After some searching on Google, we found out that you can rent bikes at See Hawaii Adventures (previously Kaimu Rentals). So we made our reservations for later in the day and now we just had to wait for the time to come.

what its like seeing lava up close and personalOnce we finally found the spot, we were given the bikes and instructions to ride a few miles over the igneous rock to get to the active lava. We were also told that only a few weeks before we arrived, a giant shelf had fallen into the ocean. This made the last part of the path unsafe to traverse, forcing us to stop quite aways away from where the lava was flowing into the ocean.

Now, if we were the type of people to be ok with just sitting back and seeing smoke in the distance from the burning lava and crashing ocean colliding, this would have been a great place to stop. That is what 90% of the people were doing. Although, this was far from enough for us. Now, if you don’t do the guided lava hike tour, you’re going to be wandering around for awhile… like us. We even considering giving up, but after running into one last group of people and them giving us some direction and hope, we decided to give it one last go around. I mean, when was the last time we would have the chance to do this? Eventually, after jumping from rock to rock and almost busting our butts numerous times, we did find it. It was a challenge, but more than well worth it.

Watch the video below or HERE to get a glimpse of what it’s really like to see lava up close and personal!

Written By: Aaron and Allyson

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Please read our disclosure policy at the bottom of the page for more information

You Might Also Like...

73 Comments

Ariel
    December 30, 2017 at 6:37 pm

This looks so amazing! I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii but I want to do more than just see the beach plus it’s hard to pick just one island to go to! How did you all pick? I bet it was so cool seeing lava up close! I definitely want to live my life without any regrets.

BlessedByTravel
      December 31, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Well we had the pleasure of living on Oahu for 3 years. So during that 3 years we visited Kauai and the Big island. So honestly I’m not sure how you pick. All of the islands offer a wide variety of different activities. I personally loved Kauai because it was less busy and more relaxing. The big island offered more excursions but it was the least beautiful of the 3 (as if that were possible) Oahu is absolutely amazing but I lived there. I’m not sure how it holds up to the other 3 since I didn’t vacation there.

Laurence
    December 30, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Oh wow that is really cool!!! I wanted to try that too and see it in person. Is it hot when you get closer to the lava? or even the place?

BlessedByTravel
      January 1, 2018 at 9:02 am

Yeah it would get really hot about 4 feet away from the lava. But it was just warm as we were walking around it 🙂

Varsha
    December 30, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Oho that’s thrilling experience. I enjoyed your video also. Nice information.

Carolina Colborn
    December 30, 2017 at 3:10 pm

We will be in Hawaii next December but in Kailua, Kona. This is so awesome. But we will be far from it given your map. I thought we would be close. Bummer! Are there any other volcano tours we can go to?

BlessedByTravel
      December 30, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Sadly Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is the only place for the volcano tours! But you can easily make this a day trip! it’s only an hour and a half to two hours away from kona! If you have a rental car its so easy to get to! just wake up early in the morning and make it a day trip. We stayed in Pahoa and made a day trip to Kona to go to the brewing company and a beach over there and it was a blast! We had plenty of time to make a whole day there 🙂

Aaron
    December 30, 2017 at 1:16 pm

That video is awesome! You guys are hardcore to go jumping from rock to rock looking for lava!

Christy
    December 30, 2017 at 10:58 am

This is fantastic. I’ve got family moving to the Big Island within the next year and I can’t wait to visit often and explore!

Marya
    December 30, 2017 at 1:20 am

i envy every picture of you traveling because they all look like you’re the only one going there. yes, even to see the lava.. you are definitely blessed by travel with barely any other people around. 😛

sincerely,
    someone who always got butthurt by other people standing somewhere when i wanted to take a decent selfie somewhere 😛

BlessedByTravel
      December 30, 2017 at 10:01 am

LOL! You made me laugh 🙂 There were people there! There were actually quite a few peope around the lava! I just cropped them out 😉

Bola
    December 29, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Wow! What an experience. Wish I am half brave.

BlessedByTravel
      December 30, 2017 at 10:01 am

It was an incredible experience 🙂 Push yourself someday 😉

Nicolette
    December 29, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Being that close would seriously freak me out! 🙂

Angie
    December 29, 2017 at 9:18 pm

This is really cool. I would definitely be scared, but like you said how many times in your life do you get to see lava?

1 2 3 4